Thursday, August 18, 2011

Jump 4 Years Ahead

So today August 3rd, 2011 we are attempting a few things:  canning concord graped jelly, canning green beans in a pressure canner, freezing green beans, picking more green beans and cukes from the garden.  We are also attempting quarts and quarts of pickles!!!  We've never canned pickles or grape jelly from juice-which is very easy so I'm told!

Once again, being the city slicker that I am, I've always loved being able to drive two minutes to the grocery store and have so many fresh fruits and veggies and foods available to me.  Attempting to grow and process our own foods has been an extremely difficult challenge for me.  But I think I'm up for it!!

So right now my three year old, Caroline, is helping Jessica my 14 year old snap beans.  Dillon, my 15 year old is working on the fence so we can move the goats to another pasture.  That will be helpful in keeping the pastures trimmed down and poison ivy and briar free; hopefully.  The goats we are told will eat every briar known to man!!

We also have one female goat, named Patty, who is pregnant and about to give birth anyday.  So we might attempt to milk her to make goat cheese!! Yummo!!    But, city girl that I am, milking a goat is going to be very humorous!!!

Another new thing, is hanging laundry on our clothes line.  Some of our friends told us the laundry line is unsightly, but I'm glad we kept it up now for two reasons:  1) it's a very green thing to do, great for the environment, and 2) it is so peaceful being out in the breeze and sun.   Plus, our dryer doesn't work right now, so we are resorting to hanging!!!!!  LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment